Thursday, December 13, 2012

Winter Reflections

 I know it has been quite awhile since I have posted, and I am so very sorry! There just doesn't seem to be enough time in a day anymore. Not that I've been doing all that much. Haha. Just life, ya know? :D Anyway, the holiday season has been upon us for some time now and is beginning to climax. We've got the nativity up, candles, and a decoration by our front door. Christmas cards are on their way to family and friends. I hope to get our traditional gingerbread house kit on our trip to Costco this weekend. ( We don't eat it, but it's for old times sake, right? :D ) There are still gifts to be bought, goodies to make, and Christmas stories to read.    
 However, I don't want to forget about the greatest Christmas story of them all. It is one that is much more than just a Christmas story, for it is true. It is what Christmas is all about. The Christ child. God coming in flesh to live and die for us. The beginning of salvation, a babe being born of a virgin to live a sinless life and become the sin sacrifice. How amazing is that? So although there is much to enjoy about this time of year, let us not get lost in the wonder of lights and gifts and that good feeling that comes with the season, but in the wonder of creation and God and new life. May we bask in the humble part of Christmas. God gave himself to us, so let us give ourselves back.
 I want to try and put up a verse that has drawn my attention or a thought that has come to me every day until Christmas. I'm a day late in starting my little " 12 Days of Christmas " project, but it's not exactly about keeping to a schedule. It's about remembering what this time of year is really about.

~
He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces...
 We will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
Isaiah 25:8,9 & 26:3
~


Homemade Old-Fashioned Eggnog
( the healthy way ;D )

3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon rum flavoring
1 teaspoon nutmeg
6-8 packets Truvia
1-2 teaspoons psyllium seed powder

Put all but last ingredients in a blender at low speed.
While running, add psyllium.
Serve!


 It may seem strange to see me not cook the eggnog and to have ingredients like Truvia and psyllium, but that is the way I've learned it best. I have certainly seen eggnog recipes that did not heat it. Truvia is a sugar-free sweetener that does the job perfect. I find it in the baking section in just about any grocery store. The psyllium can be most likely found in the health food section of say, Fred Meyer. I put this in to thicken it instead of all those other thickeners you will find in store bought nog. It sets up within minutes, although it seems thin at first. Don't be tempted to add more! You will have eggnog pudding instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment