Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It's a Journey

 While catching up on some daily devotionals I get sent to me via email by the company that I've gotten homeschool materials through, I was greatly moved by two in particular. The first one talked about how important putting on - and keeping on - the full armor of God is. Sometimes we get so caught up in our day to day lives that we start to be satisfied with just a short prayer here and a few quick verses there and rest in " Oh, I'm saved. I'm a Christian. " That's good, but it isn't good enough. Honestly, it was kind of a wake-up call to me. I've done the very same thing many times. Yesterday, in fact. I got so caught up in my day that I didn't really take time to read my Bible or really pray until just before bed, late at night, when I was so tired I maybe used ten minutes of my time to communicate with my Lord. I was sincere, but it wasn't enough to wash away the grime of the day and draw near to Him. As a result, I'd really been battling the enemy and feeling so beat up and full of frustration. That is, until I actually took time today and now I feel so refreshed! Spending quality and quantity time with Jesus is crucial to making it on this journey. I realize that more than ever now and am going to strive to do that.
 The second thing that really spoke to me is that those who are young and/or young in the faith will sometimes look at those who have been around awhile and wish that they had that solid faith and closeness with the Lord. However, we fail to realize how much they had to go through to get to that point. We are going through what they once did, and Lord willing, someday we will be at their level. It is a journey! Some are just starting out, some have been traveling for awhile, and some are nearing the end of their trip. Those just starting out must walk and journey for a time to get the experience that those they admire have. We don't start out with that kind of rock-solid faith and assurance and closeness. It is a learning process! So take heart, you may not be as sure and solid as those you look up to, but if you press on, someday you will be there! Also remember, the people you look up to still fight hard battles. They look to others higher than even them, who look unto others higher, and so on unto Jesus, the perfect example. He is who we really should look to and desire to be like, much more so than whoever is around you that you admire.
 " Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and all your strength and with all your mind. " Luke 10:27
 " Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: " Ephesians 6:10-11,13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment